Epsom salt is a granule from the mineral magnesium, originally found in the mineral springs in Epsom, England. This salt dissolves in water, is absorbed through your skin, and helps to relax muscles and the nervous system, relieve pain from arthritis, psoriasis and ease swelling.
How can you reap the benefits of this wonderful mineral? Add a cup of epsom salt to your bath before bed. Or better yet, mix some up with relaxing herbs, like chamomile, add essential oil and clay to help soothe and soften skin and be sure to take along a warm mug of Golden Milk to sip on while you’re at it. Take 20 minutes to sink into the tub, meditate, imagine all your stresses going down that drain when you let the water out.
In a large bowl, combine:
- 1 cup epsom salts
- 1 handful dried chamomile or lavender flowers
- 8-10 drops lavender or orange essential oil
- 1 Tablespoon carrier oil (olive, grapeseed, apricot)
- 1 Tablespoon pink clay
Mix well and scoop into a muslin bag or cheesecloth square, tied up. This prevents the flowers from clogging your drain. Drop into a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes.
Caution: your tub will be a bit slippery from the oil. Use caution when getting out of the bath! Even with natural ingredients, some may experience allergic reactions or a sensitivity. Do a patch test first or check with your healthcare practitioner before using aromatherapy or any ingredient you are unfamiliar with.
Where to get the goods:
- Epsom salts: pharmacy, natural health stores
- Herbs: Harmonic arts, Balance Botanicals, Cranberry Lane, Mountain Rose Herbs
- Essential oils: Saje, Essence, Cranberry Lane, Vitruvi
- Jars: grocery stores, Michaels, recycle + reuse old ones!
If packaging up as a gift, be sure to add a label to your jar showing all ingredients and directions for use 🙂 If you made some, snap a photo and upload it to our Facebook or Instagram page and tag us so we can see it!!