We are well into a new year and you may, or may not, have made eating better one of your goals for a healthier you. One way to ramp up your digestion, mood, weight management and energy levels is to include plant-based foods in your diet. Research shows that vegetarian meals
- reduce blood lipids and cholesterol levels
- improve blood pressure
- lower your risk for cardiovascular disease
- reduce BMI and obesity
- decrease insulin resistance
- reduce inflammation
- increase digestion and elimination
- decrease sodium levels
- reduce sugar cravings with better blood sugar regulation
The challenge for the month of February is to eat at least one COMPLETELY vegetarian meal each day. You will still include plant-based sources of protein, like bean, legumes, soy, quinoa and nuts. Healthy fats, like olive oil, avocado and coconut are also important for brain health, skin, hair and nails and connective tissue. As you stick with this plan, you might feel like you have more energy, better digestion, less inflammation and bloating, and less sugar cravings as you avoid processed foods, preservatives and added sugar. Plus, you will be increasing your fiber intake, which benefits your whole body systems.
Here are some ways to include plant-based foods in your daily menu:
- Salads: Rotate your greens to get the benefits from the different varieties
- Smoothies & Smoothie Bowls: use almond or coconut milk as your base, add in greens and fruit, top with berries and nuts & seeds
- Chia pudding keeps you full and is packed with protein and fiber
- Hummus with raw veggie sticks are a great combo of protein and fiber
- Vegetarian chili with different types of beans and a variety of veggies
- Cashew cream with granola and berries for breakfast
Search our blog for some healthy vegetarian snack ideas.
You will be eliminating from one meal each day:
A completely vegan diet will often cause a deficiency in vitamin B12 and vitamin D, so you may want to supplement these or include foods that are fortified with these vitamins.
Ready to take the challenge? Join us for the month of February.
- Commit now to the entire month of Feb!
- To be accountable, I would like you to snap a pic of your plant-based meal and upload it to Instagram and tag us @nextbitenutrition EVERY DAY so we can watch your progress and share with our other plant-based challengers!! We can all inspire and support eachother along the way.
Looking forward to taking these steps to wellness with you,
Jen, Next Bite Nutrition