Smoothies are all the rage and I think we are finally beyond thinking that smoothies are just a health craze. We know that they are a way to get in huge servings of fruit and veg, fibre, nutrients, and time! You can save yourself time by chopping fruit and greens and freezing single servings in freezer bags for the week. When ready to use, simply add the contents of one bag to your blender, along with your liquid of choice (coconut water, coconut milk, nut milk, yogurt…), ice and blend.
Always be sure you have a source of protein and healthy fat in your smoothie to regulate blood sugar and keep you full longer. Hemp hearts, chia, probiotic yogurt, even protein powders are a great protein addition, and nut milk, avocado, coconut oil are healthy fats.
To keep things interesting, mix up your fruits and rotate your greens. You will benefit from the various nutrients, as well. Try these hydrating, light smoothies this summer to keep your body naturally fuelled, your skin glowing, and your morning rush a little less stressful.
1. Blueberry Orange Turmeric // this glass is packed with superfoods that are antioxidants to keep your skin glowing and your immune system boosted.
2. Black Forest Cherry + Cacao // This combo of superfoods is a serious source of natural energy that also ramps up your immunity and feeds your skin with vitamin C. In a blender, combine:
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tblsp maple syrup
- 1 Tblsp raw cacao powder
3. Hydrating Vegan Matcha Smoothie // made from crushed green tea leaves, matcha packs alot of antioxidants and gives you that boost of energy without the jitters. Combine it with it’s other green friends, like spinach, avocado and kiwi, and you have yourself a wholesome breakfast to keep you fuelled all morning.
4. Agua Fresca // when water isn’t enough, add electrolytes for the ultimate hydrating beverage. Coconut water is very high in potassium to help regulate your fluids and watermelon contains a major antioxidant, lycopene, plus vitamins A and C for glowing skin.
In a blender, combine:
- handful ice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 cup watermelon chunks
Blend and serve with fresh mint.
5. Berry Refreshing // naturally sweeten your day with fresh (or frozen) berries. When it comes to berries, aim to buy organic as they absorb pesticides easily.
In a blender, combine:
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 6 mint leaves
- ½ cucumber
- ⅓ beet, peeled & sliced
- 1 Tblsp hemp hearts or protein powder
Place all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve over ice.