In honour of my upcoming Eat for Glowing Skin wellness talk on Oct 22, and the crispness in the Fall air, I couldn’t help but include the pumpkins and squashes in today’s chili.
You might already know that phytonutrients are nutrients that protect the plant from damage, and this means that they pack major antioxidant properties. Lycopene, beta carotene and lutein are forms of these compounds and are bountiful in the tomatoes, carrots, butternut squash and pumpkin in this dish, and provide dietary protection of the elements for your skin. Studies show that a diet rich in phytonutrients may produce continual, whole body protection from UV damage that leads to cellular degeneration.
I often consider the health of my skin and hair when I am putting a meal together. This sweet chili is perfect for the new arrival of Autumn, it warms the heart and soul, and certainly offers up protective benefits for the whole body and skin. High in fibre, the black beans and lentils help to keep the digestive system healthy, which plays a direct role in your skin’s glow.
- 3 C cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 small head broccoli florets
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree
- 1 jar tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
- 1 can lentils
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup water or adjust for desired consistency
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- olive oil for cooking
- Roast the butternut squash until soft at 350F
- Sautee onion until clear in a large pot with olive oil
- add garlic, diced carrots and cook until soft
- add water, broccoli, lentils, black beans, pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, salt and chili powder
- add cooked butternut squash, when ready
- cover pot and let simmer on low for minimum 1 hour
- serve with diced avocado and plain yogurt with dill or cilantro