For years, I have been deprived of the peanut butter cup, but for good reason. After doing an elimination diet, I got to the root of my frequent migraines. Peanuts.
Peanuts are a common allergen, likely due to their aflatoxin content. Aflatoxin is a toxic mold that grows in soil and causes damaging effects in humans, including liver damage and migraines.
I find it important, when I am working with clients to form new habits, to replace favourite foods or habits with healthier ones, instead of completely depriving yourself. So, in my case, I replaced peanut butter with Tahini and Almond Butter, and I really cannot taste the difference now. Nor do I miss peanut butter (or migraines!).
It is easier than you think to make your own nut butter. You simply soak nuts in water overnight, add them to a food processor with a bit of water to thin, and blend into a paste. Add a pinch of sea salt, and you have yourself a healthy spread.
Besides the overly processed part, store-bought treats often have colour, preservatives, refined sugar and other nasties added. If you can make your own and avoid extra chemicals, I say why not. These Salted Almond Butter Cups are my replacement for peanut butter cups and, I tell you, I do not feel deprived. Plus, we added collagen powder for that extra boost for skin, hair and nails.
- Over a double boiler so you do not burn the chocolate, melt together coconut oil, collagen powder, maple syrup (minus 1 Tblsp), raw cacao powder and sea salt
- Alternatively, you can melt pre-made dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Once melted, add a Tablespoon to lined muffin cups and swirl around until bottom and lower sides are covered
- Allow to set in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Try making your own nut butter, or purchase an organic butter of choice. Almond, cashew or hazelnut are my favourites. You can also combine a couple.
- Mix together nut butter, coconut flour and maple syrup
- Scoop 1/2-1 Tablespoon nut butter into the chilled muffin cups
- Cover the nut butter with remaining melted chocolate (you might have to re-melt)
- Add a pinch of rock salt to the tops of each and freeze until set, for about 1/2 hour
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 1/4 C raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- rock salt to finish
- 1/4 C nut butter
- 1 Tblsp pure maple syrup
- 1 1/4 C coconut flour
- 1 Tblsp collagen powder
Recipe yields 6 standard sized cups
Need help with an elimination diet to sort out allergies? Contact me to get started on a personalized wellness plan.